« Home | I Can Make You a Celebrity Overnight » | I've Been Learning to Drive My Whole Life » | In the Streets of Baltimore » | Balboa Park: Architecture in San Diego » | Road Trip!!! » | Sunset over the Dunes in the U.A.E. or Muad-dib! » | All The Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands » | Tea For Two » | First Night at Aaron's Apartment » | Gaudete Christus/ Baruch ata Adonai...et al »

The Turtle Moves!

Right now, this turtle is in the Nashville Airport, also known as BNA to airport three letter code afficianados. My flight doesn't leave for two more hours so here I sit, blogging for both of my readers. Really, it's an excuse to type on a wireless laptop in an aiport and drink chai, pretending I'm relevant.

It's been a grand trip, with a lot of adventures, alcohol, music, friends, driving, and Deep Thoughts. Soent last night in Nashville, at Cafe Cocoa and then to some bar named the Village(?) where I talked to with two Associated Press reporters and played darts with them and Alan. I am reconsidering Journalism as a career now that I've met people who can make a living doing it. I think working at Barnes and Noble for so long, so early really made me bitter towards liberal arts and huamnities majors, because they were so bitter about being over educated and underemployed. It's a bitter root, this college stuff.

Several people in Atlanta and Murfresboro reacted favorably to the caustic bit I wrote for the Little Man: if the zine thrives I expect to write a lot more for it. Upcoming college Writing classes have me upbeat about further honing the process.

Alan and I discussed over breakfast at IHOP this morning why the gargantuan music festival business is doing so well. Go back 10 years and there were only a few...most of them dedicated to very targeted groups, or trying to recreate the 60's. Now we have Coachella, Lilith Fair, SXSW, Bonnaroo, Ozzfest, Jazzfest, etc. Why the jump in popularity? What is different now about the music business that it supports such endeavors, and how does that impact musicians, record companies, and labels? Is it a good thing? If you have an opinion, weigh in.

Two fantastic new books opened up to me from Alan - King of the Ferrett Leggers by D. Katz: an incredibly well written collection of journalistic shorts that covers a wide ground. The opening story is an interview about a Yorkshire man who stuffs lives ferrets down his pants for hours at a time. It moves on from there to cover voyeurs, Bill Mauldin, business, and other sundries. The other book I'm less familiar with but even more enthusiastic about because it's by Bill Kovach and it's called Elements of Journalism. He is the founding director of the Committe of Concerned Journalists, and something of a god among journalists, or at least in certain circles.


When next I post, I will be in San Diego, back to the grind. I will try to bottle and ferment the vapors of the last two weeks and drink from it, from time to time.

Links

  • Google
  • Wikipedia
  • Firefox
  • Google News
  • Little Man
  • The Hannahrama
  • Thoughts While Falling Over
  • Alan's Wordpress
  • visit daytrotter.com
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from SlowlyMovingTurtle. Make your own badge here.